I like challenges. Do you dare to try this I found from Buggy and Buddy?
The challenge is to create a container that will protect an egg from cracking or breaking from a high fall. You can make this as simple or complex as you want depending on the amount of time you have and the ages of kids you are working with.
Materials for the Egg Drop Challenge
- You can use anything you want!
- Come up with an idea of some type of container you can make to protect an egg from a high fall.
- Build your container and place the egg inside.
- Drop the egg from someplace high. (Be sure it’s safe and an adult is with you.)
- After you drop it look and see if your egg cracked or remained intact.
Questions to Spark More Curiosity & Critical Thinking
Describe your design.
- Why do you think it will protect the egg?
- Did it work? Why or why not?
- How could you improve your design?
Want to go even further?
- Try dropping the egg from increasing heights. Does it eventually stop working?
- If your initial design did not work, redesign it and try to improve it. Can you get it work the next time?
- Fill a box with a large amount of materials that could be used for this project. Then allow each child to only choose 3 items from the box to build their design.